In April Matt Heinz of Heinz Marketing, one of the top 50 most influential people in sales and marketing, hosted a webinar covering email tips designed to help increase response rates. Keeping up with email best practices is a daily occurrence at The Crouch Group so we regularly research and source for the latest industry concepts.
We love how Matt describes social media in this webinar. He shares that social media and email marketing are a lot like driving by someone’s house at 35 miles per hour and trying to throw something into their mailbox. Majority of the time you are going to miss, however eventually over time they will start to recognize your car.
Here are a few of our takeaways and email tips from this webinar.
1. Matt breaks down success in email marketing into 5 areas:
2. Create a campaign. Sending an email every week does not constitute a campaign. A campaign is about coming up with a targeted long-term game plan for getting in front of your prospects. Ask yourself how can you create a game plan that focuses on your customer and not on your product. What is your customer profile? What is their buying cycle?
3. Utilize multiple channels for getting your message out. Email, social and content or blogs they all work together to help you reach your customer uniquely and often. What networks are your customer using?
4. Create a checklist before you send an email. Ensure that your goals from the planning process have been accomplished.
5. When it comes to A/B testing the little things count. One of Matt’s most successful results occurred when changing the background color of his email landing page from white to blue.
6. Mobile optimized. Ensure that your emails can be easily viewed on mobile devices.
7. Segment your email list. The more specific you can get with your email list the better your messaging can become.
8. Longer subject lines can be useful if your goal is to increase click rates. It doesn’t always have to be short and sweet!
9. Ensure there is a clear call to action in your email. Giving your recipients a choice or a fallback can be helpful. i.e. signup OR watch this video.
10. Measuring your email, it’s not just about open rates. The end goal is to increase your pipeline. Recording and metrics should take into account the entire journey, the entire campaign not just one email sent.
The world of email and online marketing is constantly changing and we work to provide our clients with the insight and tools to keep up. One of our goals at The Crouch Group is to utilize unique and creative best practices that help your customers recognize your car!
Check out the full webinar here: 50 Email Marketing Hacks That Will Double Your Response Rates, Matt Heinz, President Heinz Marketing Inc., April 2015 Webinar